Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Letting go...

Ally has a school friend whose birthday fell very close to hers. So her birthday weekend included a party to attend for her friend. This wasn't just any party, though. It was a fancy, dress-up, SLEEPOVER party! I actually panicked a little when we got the invitation, and I wasn't sure I would let her stay overnight. I know she was about to turn 7, but she had never been to a sleepover before, much less to a GROUP sleepover! And she is my BABY - what if she needed me?!?!?

But with a little coaching from my mom, I loosened my over-protective, sometimes vice-like grip on my sweet oldest and let her attend. She was so excited, and I will admit it was fun to get her all dressed up for the party. When we showed up there were a bunch of little girls running around in dress-up clothes having a blast, and the b-day girl's mom seemed to have everything under control and lots of fun things planned.

Still...I couldn't stop the lump in my throat or the streaming tears as I drove away after dropping her off. So I did what every mature, responsible mom would do in this situation - I called MY mom for comfort!

When I picked Ally up the next morning she was glowing with excitement, and both parents exclaimed several times that she had been such a polite, sweet little guest. And this might sound crazy, but as I watched her gather her things, she actually seemed a little older to me. I guess Ally and I both did some growing up...overnight!



No comments: